National Art Competition
Entries now open!
Exhibition runs 4 May – 10 June 2018
Closing date for entry forms 29 March 2018
The inaugural Lysaght Watt Trust Art Award was held in 2013 at the Lysaght Watt Gallery in Hawera, South Taranaki.
The major prize of $3000 (sponsored by the Lysaght Watt Trust), as well as several other sponsored prizes, continues to draw entries from artists throughout New Zealand. Each year the Lysaght Watt Trust Art Award attracts approximately 70 entries New Zealand wide. Now in its sixth year, the Award has grown in national awareness.
A different theme is selected annually, with past themes including ‘Daily life’, ‘Yin Yang’, and ‘Self Portrait’. This year’s theme is ‘Rising’.
An esteemed member of the New Zealand Art community is invited each year to choose the overall winner. They also choose the winners of the individual prize categories, including 3D, 2D and Local Artist. A gala evening is held at the Lysaght Watt Gallery to announce the winners and open the exhibition. All entries are for sale.
The People’s Choice Award is given to the artwork with the most votes from the public by the end of the show.
The Lysaght Watt Trust Art Award is extremely well received. It provides a platform not only for established artists, but also for aspiring artists to nurture their careers.
A few important details about the the competition
Please read the Conditions of Entry for the official rules.
- ONE entry per artist.
- The theme for this competition is ‘Rising’ and all entries must comply with this theme.
- The competition is open to both two dimensional works and three dimensional works in any media.
- Both 2D & 3D works will be eligible for the major overall award of $3,000.
- The judge’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- All works must be for sale, with a Gallery commission of 25%.
- There is an entry fee of $45 which covers administration costs, and the cost of returning the artwork to the artist if not sold.
- Some don’ts:
- Unfortunately, entries that require a TV or a monitor are unable to be accepted.
- Works that have been previously exhibited in Taranaki or Whanganui will not be accepted.
- Closing date for Entry Forms 29 March 2018.
- The exhibition runs Thursday 4th May – Sunday 10th June 2018.
- Entries are to be delivered to the Lysaght Watt Gallery between the 23rd and 26th of April 2018.
Request an entry form here:
Other ways to request an entry form:
- At the Lysaght Watt Gallery.
- Address: 4-6 Union St, The Square, Hawera
- Opening Hours: Mon to Fri 10 – 4pm, Sat 10 – 1pm
- Gallery Ph: 06 278 7611
- Chair Ph: 06 278 6612
- Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions Of Entry:
(Click below to enlarge/open the PDF.)