We’re Reopening! But with some changes.
The gallery will be open to the public from Monday 8 June with new winter hours. It’s cold, it’s Level 2, and town is still quiet, so we’ll reduce the hours on Monday-Friday to 10 am-2 pm, and hours on Saturday to 10 am-12 noon. We encourage you to visit during these hours to view our new exhibitions – unfortunately there will be no opening event because of the Covid restrictions. We’ll keep these hours for at least the next three months and will review them later in the year.
Visitors to the gallery will be limited to 5 visitors at a time and once we reach capacity we will operate a “one in/one out” policy. All visitors to the gallery will be required to provide their name, phone number and email address to enable contact tracing if required. We’ll exercise social distancing at all times, with hand sanitiser freely available. Regular cleaning of surfaces and the EFTPOS terminal will be conducted throughout the day.
Artwork from Collectives 2020. See exhibition catalogue here.
Become a Friend of the Lysaght Watt Gallery!
Membership is $10 per year. To sign up fill out this entry form or pop in to our gallery!
– As a Friend, you will receive our monthly newsletter, invitations to our exhibition openings and the Biennial Art Awards and the opportunity to talk with the artists. You will also receive a Friend’s only discount on art supplies at Hāwera Paper Plus.
By becoming a Friend of the Gallery, you are supporting the Lysaght Watt Gallery to:
– Establish a high profile gallery in Hāwera and support the initiatives of other art groups within the South Taranaki District with provision of exhibition spaces
– Facilitate economic development opportunities for the arts in South Taranaki
– Provide opportunities for creative expression and artistic celebration by interaction between artists and the community
– Increase access to expertise and education in the field of the arts
It’s almost that time of the year again when we send out our membership and friends notices. Watch for these in your email or in the mail – thank you in advance for your ongoing support and interest in our community gallery. We work hard to support our emerging artists and bring you exhibitions of interest – acknowledging always that while art enriches our inner lives, it also contributes to our local economy, health and wellbeing, society and education. What better time than now to participate in this purpose? Thank you.
Lysaght Watt Trust Art Awards 2020:
Just a reminder these awards have been put on hold until 2021. We’ve put the word out and advised all the known exhibitors, but if you know of anyone still thinking about entering, please let them know our intentions and refer them to our website for updates later in the year.
One of our loved members and a well known character in our community, Bill Rumney, passed away suddenly a few weeks ago and the committee sent flowers and a message extending sympathy to his wife Shirley and family.